Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

It wasn't until recently that I really started to "get" what Memorial Day really meant. Sure, I knew it was a day to honor and remember those who gave their lives for their country. But to me, as it is to many, it was just a much-needed day off of school and the kick-off to summer. Overall, it was always a fun weekend. But lately it has began to mean so much more. I don't know if it's simply because I'm older or because I've had a cousin (in-law) and some friends from high school who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan (whom all thankfully came home safe) but I've become a lot more patriotic over the last several years. Now I take the time to reflect on what the day truly means, and I'd like to thank everyone who has ever served for our great nation, I know you guys don't always get the respect you deserve, but you certainly have mine.

0 comments: