Saturday, September 22, 2007

Okay, so here are all my blogs from my myspace profile. I often post things on there, but I don't think anybody really goes to myspace to read blogs. So if blogs are what you want, blogs are what you get, here are several months worth, starting with the most recent. Enjoy, or don't, I don't care!

September 11, 2007 - Tuesday
Where were you???
Everyone remembers where they were 6 years ago today when they heard the news. I was at Glen Oaks in Algebra class. I didn't believe it when I overheard people talking about it, but afterwards, when I got in the car and it was on the radio, I knew the carefree world I'd grown up in had forever been changed! I was young at the time, only 19, and I didn't have children to worry about at the time. I've always been a nervous and paranoid person, and I could have let that fear that I had keep me from having children just to keep them from having to grow up in a violent world. While I wish my children didn't have to grow up in a world with constant fear, I had to move on. I can't imagine the people who were directly impacted by the attacks and how hard it must have been (and still is) for them to move on. Dustin and I married exactly 8 months later, and had Nathan almost 2 years later. While I still worry about them and the condition of this world, I am so glad that I didn't let this fear hold me back and keep me from having him. Children are supposed to be innocent, and not have to worry about stuff like this, I wish it could be that way but there are so many evils out there and so much jeolousy of this wonderful nation that we live in that it's hard to keep them that way and nurture that innocence.
This morning as I watched the footage for the 100th+ time it was no less disturbing than it was 6 years ago. I think if we could all band together and show the patriotism, pride and concern for fellow man as we did those first weeks following 9-11, the country would be a better place. And hopefully it would somehow wear off onto the rest of the world.
I would like to take time to thank every single man and woman who puts their life on the line every day to keep me and my family safe. I don't think you guys can possibly hear it enough, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! And may God bless and protect you all!!!



September 5, 2007 - Wednesday
I did it!!!
The first day of preschool was a success! And by that I mean, neither one of us really cried. Okay, I confess, I teared up a little. Notice my title was "I did it" not "We did it" or "He did it". There was never any doubt that Nathan would be able to handle it, it was me that I was worried about, lol! He seemed to have a great time and didn't have any problem with me leaving. I've always worried since he's spent four years at home with me that he would have a difficult time being away from home and from me, but if anything, I honestly think it helped him be more secure. He did great. I think his favorite part of the day was snack, imagine that, Dustin and I's kid liked snack?!? What a shocker, lol! Anyway, he's already looking forward to going back on Friday.
On a side note, if anyone really cares, the cost of fixing our vehicles and my ticket are going to probably be way less than expected. The ticket is only $96 and two points on my license, but I've never had any before so it's no big deal. Also, Dustin's friend Jeff came over to check out the truck and thinks it's a relatively cheap fix. Way cheaper than the $1000+ we thought we were looking at, like maybe a tenth of that. I sure hope Jeff is right and that'll fix it! So anyway, everything is looking up.



September 4, 2007 - Tuesday
Time for school!!!
My little Natey is starting pre-school tomorrow!!!! I think I'm actually going to handle it okay, but we'll see. I took him to an open house today and all the other kids were sticking close to their parents, but not my little monkey-man! He was outgoing and went off on his own, I think he would have been just fine if I'd have left him there alone today. But tomorrow's the big day when he gets dropped off and I leave. He is so excited. As much as I'd love to keep him home with me FOREVER I know that he is ready and this is the right time. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it more than Nathan!!! I'll post some pictures and let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.



September 2, 2007 - Sunday
When it rains...
For those who didn't read my previous blog, let me start off by telling you I got in an accident Friday afternoon. It was totally my fault, nobody was hurt, and the van really doesn't have too much damage. So now you're pretty much caught up. So anyway, we decided not to turn it in to insurance because, quite frankly, we can't afford to pay the $500 deductible or the increase in rates every month. We can fix it ourselves and have it looking pretty decent for only about $300. (The only damage is cosmetic so it's not a big deal!) I also have a ticket I'm going to have to pay, it should be under $200, probably closer to $100 though. So there's all that money that we don't really have to start with gone.
Today, Dustin's truck died. It's a fairly new truck, a 2002 Ford that he's only had for about 6 or 7 months now. I was driving home from church and it started shaking like crazy, he wasn't with me, just the boys, but he said I was lucky to even make it home. So he took a look at it and figured out it was the catalyticwhatchamahoozie (can you tell I know a lot about cars, lol!) and said it will probably be at least a thousand dollars!
Also, last night he was trying to order the headlights we needed for the van and we realized our credit card expired the day before (August 31) and they never sent us a new one, so I had to call and get that taken care of and it's going to be a week or so until we can get and use our new one. They had to transfer our balance to a new card number in case the old ones got into the wrong hands.
To top it all off, Nathan starts school this week and it's another $75 a month. Which we really thought we were going to be able to handle until the rest of this all happened! So if anybody knows of any good work from home or get rich quick schemes they want to let me know about, I'd appreciate it, lol! Late August through mid September must just be our bad time of year. Last year I spent like a week or so in and out of the hospital this time of year. I'm not writing all this to get others to feel sorry for me, because quite honestly, even with all this "trauma" (or maybe "drama" is more like it) in my life right now, I am very lucky. It really makes you count your blessings in tough times like these, we are all healthy and happy. Stressed, but happy. I am very thankful that nobody got hurt in the accident, and the rest will eventually work itself out! Like the saying goes, "when it rains, it pours." But somewhere through the mess, I can see a ray of sunlight! How cliche is that for ya??? LOL!



August 31, 2007 - Friday
OOPS!!!
Guess what I did this afternoon?!? I crashed my van! First and foremost, let me stress, EVERYONE IS FINE!!!! (Thank You, God!!!!) I was driving to Wal-Mart to get some groceries for our family hog roast this weekend and all the sudden there was a car in front of me going really slow. I saw them, I thought I had plenty of time to stop. I guess I really don't know how it happened. I guess the car was just going a lot slower than I thought. There were like 2 or 3 cars in front of them, and a buggy that was holding things up. The sad thing is, when I was getting the mail I saw this line of traffic go by our house really slow. It was totally, 100% my fault, and I feel so bad. The car I hit didn't have insurance, and so that makes me feel worse, but I guess they were breaking the law by driving without insurance, but I still feel bad!
Like I said, everyone is okay. They had 2 young kids in their car, too! So we were really lucky. I was a bit concerned about Nathan for a few minutes. He was talking really raspy and said his throat hurt. I think he just had the wind knocked out of him. The paramedics checked everyone out and thought we all seemed okay. The volunteer firemen or paramedics (whatever they were) were so nice. The one guy stood and held Nathan's hand the whole time. I'm so worried Nathan will be scared to go in the car now, and it's really bad timing seeing as he starts school in 4 days! It just really sucks, but accidents happen, and praise God it wasn't more serious and nobody was injured!!!
Needless to say, this turned out to be a VERY expensive trip to Wal-Mart!!! Our van is still driveable, we drove it home, but still there's the deductable and all that, not to mention my ticket, but I don't think that will be over $200. But really, this amount of money is nothing compared to what could have been lost!




August 28, 2007 - Tuesday
Natey is 4!!!
"The days are long but the years are short." Wow, isn't that the truth?!? Nathan turned 4 yesterday and I just can't figure out where the time's gone. Stay at home moms will know what I mean when I say I've spent many days counting down until Dustin gets home or bedtime or the weekend instead of enjoying the every day moments with my kids. But as long as some of those days have seemed at the time, it still feels like yesterday when I saw my first-born son for the very first time. He was the most amazing and beautiful thing I'd ever laid my eyes on (and ever will other than his brother and any other siblings to come). He continues to amaze me every day, he has so many great qualities. He is such a funny guy! I totally picture him being the class clown-type. He'll get himself into trouble with his personality, but I also believe those same qualities can really take him places someday. I can't wait to see the boy and man he will become. I have so many hopes and wishes for him, mainly that he is happy, healthy and lives life to the fullest with God guiding his path. Whatever he chooses to do with his life (if you ask him now, he might tell you he'll play for the Colts and the Cubs someday!) I just want him to be happy! I love my little man sooooo much! Happy birthday Nathan!



August 24, 2007 - Friday
Spread the Word
So at church last week the message was quite simple and quite clear to me. Basically, it was this. There are three main things that God tells us that we should do and they are this:
1. Love God. 2. Love others. 3. Pass on the message.
Well, I feel like I am doing 1, but it could use some work. I mean, I love God, truly I do, but not every aspect of my life is fully focused on serving Him. This is something I'm working on. (See 3!)
2 could use some work for sure! Sure, I love my fellow man as much as the next guy, maybe even more than the next guy depending on who he/she is. I love my family, I love my friends, and though I don't really know them, I "love" my neighbors. I don't consider myself rascist by any means. But I admit that I am nowhere near perfect on this one. There are people from high school I still hold grudges against, there are the little old ladies who drive 30 mph in a 55 zone, there are people walking down the sidewalk I sometimes find myself laughing at. Do I dislike them? No, but I certainly don't "LOVE" them. I could stand to be more accepting of others.
3, wow, I am terrible about this one. Many people who read my blogs may be shocked to see how much I write about my faith, because I never talk about it in "real life". I mean, I think they know I'm a Christian, but I've neve really talked about it to them. Sure, I talk about it to my boys and Dustin a lot. We read Nathan's picture bible to him, he knows Jesus is in my heart and we pray every night. We will do the same with Matthew when he's a little older. But is that good enough??? A friend and I were talking about church the other day and she told me she was surprised Dustin went to church with me because she just never pictured him to be that kind of guy. She said she'd never in a million years get her husband to go with her and that he was "a good boy" just not the church-going type. It was the perfect time for me to speak up and tell her it takes more than being "a good boy" to get you into heaven. I guess I assume she knows that, but really, isn't my responsibility as a friend to do everything I can to get her to realize just being good doesn't guarantee you a spot in heaven. Also, just because you go to church doesn't mean you've got a spot saved either. Anyway, I guess my point is, probably all of us Christians could stand to get out there and tell others of Jesus' amazing love and salvation. I know I need to start, because we never know when it will be too late!



August 15, 2007 - Wednesday
There’s no place like home.
We've been trying new churches lately to find one we would enjoy going to as a family and could really see ourselves becoming involved in. This past Sunday we went to the Wesleyan Church in Sturgis. As soon as I walked in, it just felt right to me. This is the church I had grown up in though I haven't really attended in probably 8-10 years!!! The familiar faces were friendly, yet not over-whelming. The songs were AWESOME and VERY moving. The sermon was great, and just what I needed that particular day, it really hit home!!! I loved everything about it, except the fact that my husband wasn't particularly fond of it, he prefers something a bit more traditional. Anyways, hopefully I can get him to change his mind, because truly in this case, there's no place like home!



July 17, 2007 - Tuesday
"The Price of Children" by Jim Davidson
It seems the government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with $160,140 for a middle income family. Talk about sticker shock! That doesn't even touch college tuition. But $160,140 isn't so bad if you break it down. It translates into: $8896.66 a year, $741.08 a month, or $171.38 a week. That's a mere $24.24 a day! Just over a dollar an hour. Still, you might think the best financial advice is to not have children if you want to be 'rich.' Actually, it is just the opposite.
Just consider what you get for your $160,140. You get naming rights, first, middle and last! You get glimpses of God every day and giggles under the covers every night. You get more love than your heart can hold. You get butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs. You also get endless wonder of rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies. You get a warm hand to hold, usually covered with jelly or chocolate. You get a partner for blowing bubbles and flying kites and someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the boss said or how your stocks performed that day.
For $160,140 you never have to grow up. You get to: finger-paint, carve pumpkins, play hide-and-seek, and catch lightning bugs. You have an excuse to: keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh, watching Saturday morning cartoons, going to Disney movies, and wishing on stars. You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnets and collect spray-painted noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in clay for Mother's Day and cards with backwards letters for Father's Day.
For $160,140, there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to be a hero just for: retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof, taking the training wheels off a bike, removing a splinter, filling a wading pool, coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs, and coaching a baseball team that never wins, but always gets treated to ice cream regardless. You get a front row seat to history to witness the: first step, first word, first bra, first date and first time behind the wheel.
You get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you're lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren and great-grandchildren. You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice, communications and human sexuality no college can match. In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them without limits. So, one day they will, like you, love without counting the cost.

Dustin's grandma clipped this out of the paper a couple weeks ago to pass along to me. I thought it was wonderful. Though that figure might kind of scare a few people (Miranda, I'm mainly thinking of you here, or actually, Andy!!!!) children are a great reward, no matter how much they cost!



July 10, 2007 - Tuesday
A reward from God
Children are a heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.-Psalm 127:3
You've given me a lovely reward, dear Father. I know that my children actually belong to You, and I need to treat them in that way. Along with the privilege of being a mother, I've been given the great responsibility of teaching my childen, using the guidelines You've established in Your Word.
Please help me not to squander this great opportunity. I want to please You by taking utmost care of this wonderful reward that You've bestowed on me. I want to nurture these children both physically and spiritually. My desire is that others would realize I truly understand my children came from You and that I've given them back to You. Please continue to bless this family. Thank You, Jesus.

Taken from the book "Prayers & Promises for Moms". I just wanted to share this with all the mothers who read my blog. It really touched me when I read it and I hope that it will touch others as well. Have a blessed day.



July 7, 2007 - Saturday
My BABY is ONE!!!!
Today is Matthew's birthday. We had a party for him this afternoon, I think he had a good time. He hogged down his cake, made a mess, opened presents, you know, the usual.
It's just so hard for me to believe a year has passed since he came into our lives. I remember everything (well, almost) from the day he was born so clearly, like it was a month ago, not a whole year. I guess that's just what mothers do. He is such a good baby though, and I love him so much. I can't imagine not having him in our family, he just seems to fit right in.
It's a very bittersweet day for me. On one hand, I love to see the little boy he is turning into, but on the other hand, I want him to stay a tiny baby who will snuggle in my arms!!! I don't think I had such a rough time with Nathan turning one, because I knew we would have another baby someday. But with Matthew, knowing he will probably be the last baby (though I desperately want another!!!!) makes it difficult. Soon he will be off doing things with Daddy and big brother, and my baby will be gone! But I really am anxious to see his personality grow and develop and become a young man. So for now, I am just going to enjoy those precious moments between babyhood and childhood and thank God for my blessings. Happy birthday Matthew, Mommy loves you more than you could ever know!

P.S. Check out Matthew's birthday pictures! He's a cutie!



July 1, 2007 - Sunday
How did my 3 year old get a busier social life than me?!?
I was just looking on the calender to see what we had scheduled for the next couple weeks and it dawned on me that almost everything we've done this summer is for the boys, mainly Nathan. It seems like we have been busy almost every day so far this summer, and it's only getting busier. This week is actually kind of slow, but he had a "date" with Grandma to see a movie today, tomorrow he has playgroup at the park and possibly a playdate Thursday, plus a 4th of July party Wednesday and Matthew's birthday party Saturday! One week this summer he has something scheduled every day except one!!! Now, I am the parent, and I do the scheduling, but at not even four years old, this seems a bit ridiculous. I can't imagine what it will be like when one boy is in t-ball, the other in Rocket Football, or whatever it is they do when they are a little older! It's fun staying busy and it gives me a chance to socialize too, and really, that's why he's signed up for so much, for my benefit as well, but I never thought I'd be the kind of mom who is running a toddler all over town. It's just sad when I think back 6 or 7 summers ago when I would be on the go doing all kinds of things with MY friends all day (and sometimes, night) and now my little boy is the one with the social life. I guess I'm officially old!!!



June 30, 2007 - Saturday
The guilt stops...HERE! Current mood: energetic
Stay-at-home moms of the world unite!!! I'm tired of feeling guilty for buying "expensive" shampoo and conditioner. By expensive, I mean the kind that costs like $3-4 a bottle instead of the $1 a bottle kind! I'm tired of feeling guilty when I buy a bottle of Cover Girl foundation that costs like $5 and lasts me a couple months. You know, working women easily would drop $30 on eyeshadow and not feel guilty, so why do I feel guilty about $5?!? I'm tired of feeling guilty when I give in and buy a bottle of Diet Pepsi while standing in the check-out line at Wal-Mart! I could be buying Starbuck's twice a day at $3 or more a piece. So why, WHY do I feel guilty?!?!?!?!?!
I know the rest of you ladies struggle with the same thoughts. Maybe not over the exact same items, but there are things we all buy, and okay, maybe they are not absolutely required to survive, but we really do NEED them. They are nice to have, they make us happy, and quite frankly, we DESERVE them!!! Just the other day I bought some new deoderant and it smelled awesome (Secret's Vanilla Chai) and I knew they had a body spray that went along with it. So the next time I was at the store, I bought a bottle. I kind of hid it away hoping Dustin wouldn't notice, but why??? He never makes me feel guilty about it, and after all, why should he care? He buys himself new fishing stuff every season, why shouldn't I get to have a little bottle of body spray???
So I say it's time we stop feeling guilty for the little things we buy here and there. In the end they don't add up to much, and isn't our happiness worth $5??? Come on ladies, next time you're at the store, pick up a bottle of pop (or a pack of gum, or new nail polish, or whatever it is you like), put it on the counter with pride, and think to yourself, "I'M WORTH IT!!!" The guilt stops NOW!!!



June 27, 2007 - Wednesday
Somewhere over the rainbow
Tonight, I saw the most beautiful rainbow I've ever seen. It was big and bright and full. I called Nathan downstairs out of bed to come look at it and Dustin told him that rainbows are a sign that God loves us and is watching over us. Then he looked up in the sky and yelled, "I love you, too, God!" It was so sweet. Before having children, I would have looked at a rainbow for a minute and gone back to what I was doing, but seeing Nathan look at the rainbow and admire it made me think how wonderful it is that kids see beyond the outside and look deeper into things. I often neglect to realize all the beautiful things God has put on this earth, but to Nathan, it really was a sign from God, not just something pretty to look at. I hope he always sees things with those kind of eyes.



June 13, 2007 - Wednesday
Zippity-doo-dah! Current mood: content
Today was an ordinary day around our house. We went grocery shopping this morning, ate lunch, and went outside to play. I don't know what came over me as I was watching the boys play in the sprinkler and singing zippity-doo-dah with Nathan, but I felt like the luckiest person alive! I often take for granted the fact that I am able to stay at home with my boys. But as I sat there thinking they could be doing the exact same thing at a babysitter or daycare and still have fun, I was there to watch it and be a part of it, and there is nothing better in the world.
I know some parents would love to be able to stay home with their kids and just can't do it, I know others want to work, but I was reminded today how thankful I am to be able to do what is right for me and my family. An extra income would be great and it would be nice to worry less about being able to pay bills, but I can't imagine worrying about the care my kids receive.
There really are a lot of people to thank for blessing me with this gift of being home with my children. First of all, God! I mean, without Him, these precious children wouldn't even be here! Second, Dustin. He works so hard and bears the burden of worrying whether he is doing enough and making enough money to support his family. Oh, my boys wouldn't be here without him, either, LOL! Also, my parents, Dustin's parents, and all our grandparents who help us in so many ways. Thanks to everyone.
Zippity-doo-dah, zippity-ay, wonderful feeling, wonderful day!!!



June 11, 2007 - Monday
First born survey Current mood: nostalgic
Here you go mommies - a different kind of survey for a change - it's all about your first born!1. WAS YOUR FIRST PREGNANCY PLANNED? Kind of 2. WERE YOU MARRIED AT THE TIME? Yes 3. WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS? Soooo excited, a little surprised! 4. WAS ABORTION AN OPTION FOR YOU? Absolutely never!!! 5. HOW OLD WERE YOU? 21 6. HOW DID YOU FIND OUT YOU WERE PREGNANT? Super tired and just had "a feeling". 7. WHO DID YOU TELL FIRST? Dustin, then my mom and dad. It was kind of a late Christmas present, we found out December 26th. 8. DID YOU WANT TO FIND OUT THE SEX? Yes and no. I kind of wanted a surprise, but we ended up and found out! 9. DUE DATE? I think originally August 31, I had him August 27th, pretty close to the due date. 10. DID YOU HAVE MORNING SICKNESS? Yeah, you could say that. I was hospitilized 3 times for dehydration and ended up losing over 20 pounds the first 4 months or so. 11. WHAT DID YOU CRAVE? Watermelon 12. WHO IRRITATED YOU THE MOST? Tough call! I was so grumpy, everyone drove me nuts! Probably Dustin the most though just because he was around the most! 13. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CHILDS SEX? Male 14. DID YOU WISH YOU HAD THE OPPOSITE SEX OF WHAT YOU WERE GETTING? Nope 15. HOW MANY POUNDS DID YOU GAIN THROUGHOUT THE PREGNANCY? I think about 45 pounds, but I'd lost a lot at first with being sick, so it was really more like 25 pounds more than where I started. 16. DID YOU HAVE A BABY SHOWER? Yes 17. WAS IT A SURPRISE OR DID YOU KNOW? I knew 18. DID YOU HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS DURING YOUR PREGNANCY? Yes, the dehydration in the beginning and some other minor stuff in the end that made them decide to induce labor. 19. WHERE DID YOU GIVE BIRTH? Sturgis Hospital 20. HOW MANY HOURS WERE YOU IN LABOR? 36 hours 21. WHO DROVE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL? Dustin 22. WHO WATCHED YOU GIVE BIRTH? Dustin and my mom 23. WAS IT NATURAL OR C-SECTION? Natural 24. DID YOU TAKE MEDICINE TO EASE THE PAIN? Oh yeah, but the epidural didn't work!!! :( 27. HOW MUCH DID YOUR CHILD WEIGH?? 9 lbs. 5 oz. 28. DID YOUR CHILD HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS?? Thank God, no! 29. WHAT DID YOU NAME HIM/HER? Nathan Scott 30. HOW OLD IS YOUR FIRST BORN TODAY? Almost 4!



June 4, 2007 - Monday
Five things I learned last week
Things I learned while building a wooden swingset:
1. If the instructions say it will take 8-12 hours, double that!!!
2. Send the children to a babysitter unless you want to hear them ask, "when can I play on it?" 846 times!!!
3. Send the children to a babysitter unless you want them to hear their father yell four-letter words when he smashes his finger with a hammer, twice!!!
4. Enlist help of brother-in-law, father-in-law and father so you don't ruin a perfectly good marriage.
5. The money and time spent working on it are well worth it when you see the look on a 3 1/2 year old's face flying down the slide for the first time!



May 27, 2007 - Sunday
Freedom
Tomorrow, as we have the past several Memorial Days, we will go to a cemetery in Nottawa. The little old man there will give the same speech as usual. The Centreville high school band will play the same slightly out of tune version of "The Star Spangled Banner". Afterwards, we will all gather at Dustin's grandparent's house and eat the same barbecued chicken, and probably even tell some of the stories we have all shared dozens of times. Though so many things will be the same, there will be one major difference. All those nameless, faceless soldiers we have all prayed for overseas will soon be one of our own. We'll be thinking about how glad we are to spend this time with Neil, and how proud we are of him, because in just a few short weeks he will be sent to Iraq to serve and protect our country. It's easy to forget why we celebrate Memorial Day. But this year, I hope we all remember to thank God and our military (past and present) for the freedom we have to celebrate the day as we wish, I know I will!



May 11, 2007 - Friday
Five years
Five years ago today, I married my best friend. I know lots of people say that, but it's true. Dustin understands me like nobody else. He knows all the little embarassing things I've done, knows how crazy I can be, how strange (in a good way, most of the time) my family is, what a hypochondriac paranoid freak I can be, and yet he still loves me!!! He is the father of my two perfect children. Sure, we argue occasionally, but for being married five years, we really still get along great. I'm proud of our relationship. I feel we did things the way God means for them to be done. We moved in together AFTER we were married, we had children AFTER we were married, these days, that is a rarity. To each his or her own I guess, but for us, that was the right decision. It's hard to believe, but many people our ages have already been married once and divorced and married again. I think people take marriage too lightly, like buying a new car or something. Like if they get tired of it, they can just get rid of it or trade it in. Well, not us. I guess our attitude about marriage is as strong as it is because we both have parents who are still married to eachother (another rarity) and have shown us what a marriage is supposed to be. My mom and dad just celebrated 29 years together last weekend, and Dustin's parents will also celebrate 29 years together later this summer. I know not everything has been perfect in their marriages, as it won't be in ours either, but we are not going to give up.